It’s the last day of the year. Can you believe it? I really can’t. This year has been somewhat of a blur for me and seemed to have snuck up on me. I think I’ve learned more this year than I’ve learned in a long time. Which is what I wanted to share with you.
Here are the 13 things I’ve learned:
1. If something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t.
2. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
3. Don’t lend your trust out the same way you give candy on Halloween…you’re bound to get burned.
4. Schedules are a necessity for writers.
5. Time and practice really is an author’s best friend. And reading.
6. Dreams come at their own pace whether you want them now or not. Wait for them.
7. My kids are growing up fast. Too fast.
8. Honesty will always get you farther. Especially with yourself.
9. You can’t be everything for everyone. It’s not physically possible.
10. The only way the words will come is if you sit in your chair and type them.
11. Don’t compare your life to everyone else’s. The path you’re on is your path and it’s the right path. Trust that.
12. Remain humble. Don’t let ego kill your personality.
13. Make time for your loved ones. Even when the characters are knocking on your door.
It may not be the best advice or the most original, but each one is something I, or someone very close to me went through this year. This year wasn’t what some would call a ‘huge success’, but I’d have to say it’s been exactly what I needed at this point in my life. Even the rough parts. The amount of knowledge, confidence, patience, and understanding that I’ve gained is more valuable than anything else I could possibly want.
I have no doubt in my mind that 2014 will be a year I never dreamed of. I can feel it. I know I’m on the verge of something and I can’t wait to see what it is. I hope you had a fantastic 2013 and reflect upon everything you’ve learned as we enter a brand new year. Oh, and don’t forget to leave money on your doorstep before the night is through. It’s supposed to bring you luck when you pick it up tomorrow. Change will suffice. I’ve used a quarter and I swear it works.
Any who, Happy New Year!
Echelon out ♥