Okay, so I’m still the same Red Bull drinking, music blasting, rebellious thinking writer that strives for more (or a little too much at times). I don’t really have any resolutions for the new year besides finishing From the Embers. It’s not because I’m not striving, it’s just that every day is a new day and a new chance for me to be better. I don’t need to wait for a new year to do that.
But I digress.
So for those of you who don’t know what MoJo is, watch ‘Austin Powers’. No seriously, it is that special spark inside of you that makes you who you are. It gives you your funk…your edge…your appeal….your, well, your uniqueness.
And I feel like I have lost my MoJo!
“Wwhhhhhhyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!????????” I cry as I fall to my knees and hang my head in despair.
Well because ever since the publication of Born in Flames, I have been distant from my blog and distant from what I used to write about on here. As most of us know, you don’t sell if you don’t market. And then holidays snuck up on me. So now I am sitting here, wondering what in the heck could I possibly have to say to you that would keep you interested in me?
This is what my brain came up with:
See all that blank space? That’s exactly right, my friends. A whole lot of nothingness. That is what I came up with. This in turn, led me to wonder: What happened to my freaking MoJo!!!??? After freaking out because I couldn’t find it or any Red Bull in the fridge, I decided that I had to figure out how to bring it back. But I don’t like ordinary. I don’t like following the many (usually the same) ideas that you can find out there in the blogging world. Not because they aren’t good, but because I am difficult and hard-to-please. I either write from my head, or nothing at all.
“Shut up and spill it already!”
Sheesh…okay…you don’t have to yell! What I am about to share with you is the up most top-secret, highly coveted, teeny bit of information that happens when my hands touch a computer. People…you can’t buy this in a book store. It’s magic. It just happens. So prepare yourselves, because you are about to be blown away!!! This is how I found my MoJo.
- First, stare at your computer for an ungodly amount of time…maybe until you drool. That should be a key sign that you have stared long enough.
- Type your opening line.
- Delete your opening line.
- Re-write your opening line, followed by a few more sentences that cause you to cringe in fear of having nothing viable to say.
- Save your empty draft and walk away rather than throwing your computer.
- Watch Indian Jones (because he is AWESOME). Heck, watch all the Indiana movies.
- Turn your computer back on and check your email.
- Then check your Facebook.
- Pretty much do anything besides what you should be doing: finishing your blog post.
- Feel like a loser because you can’t come up with a blog post and then log into WordPress because you refuse to be a quitter.
- Finish your post without the pressure of caring whether or not it is clever and appealing.
- Click Publish.
Oh wait….you wanted me to give you 12 steps that were helpful, not share what I just did today before finishing this post. Sorry. That’s the reality. There is no magic solution. Sitting down, not over-analyzing what you are trying to write, and simply writing is the only way to make it happen. Some of you are blessed with ideas and the dedication to put them down everyday. I know because I get the emails containing all your knowledgeable posts and think, Man I need to write more.
Now for a drastic change in subject, I noticed recently that people have found me by typing the following in their search engines:
- cat why don’t you love me
- fairy shadowbox
- knoebel obsession
- kobo punching bag
- feisty personality
- I have been in such a rut lately I really need something good to happen before I go crazy
- anger is unproductive
- I love you but you wont find it out
- fire poker walmart
- is the sentence correct I am only but clay in his hands.
With that being said, I haven’t even left you with a question in like god knows how long! So it’s time to bring that back!
Do you have any serious helpful tips to writing a successful blog post?
Echelon out, folks ♥